The high school I work at has a 4"square clay extruder from long ago. No dies though. I took one look at what those cost and decided to give 3d printing them a shot.
So far it has been an amazing success! We really struggled with making coils for coil-method pottery so all I have so far is a die with a single 1/2" round and a die with 4 holes, also 1/2". The taper was very effective in reducing pressure and making a nice smooth clay coil. 1 pound of clay resulted in something like 12 feet or more of clay coils.
Later this year I'll be teaching students how to make 3d models and a good candidate and this is a great candidate for demonstrating parametric modeling I think.
Compared to store bought dies even printing at 100% infill results in hefty savings. More if you cleaned and recycled the plastic if it ever cracks.
I only printed at 30% and it worked like a dream. This was only meant to test the concept. If it fails I may print the next one in PETG. Please comment if you experiment with this!
Also I only used this die on soft low-fire clay. I have no experience or even a guess if other clays prove more difficult. If they do bump up the infill, die thickness, change the hole taper, or change material.
Made this in BlocksCAD, a browser based version of OpensSCAD.
I prefer using OpenSCAD but my reasons for learning BlocksCAD are
1) My students all have chromebooks and I want to give them as many broswer based modelling options as I can and
2) BlocksCAD works a lot like Scratch with code blocks snapping together. Most of my students have some familiarity with this from middle school.
You can view the raw OpenSCAD code within BlocksCADif you want to make a proper OpenSCAD file.
- Parametric modelling
- Coil pottery