Filament Rounout Sensor for Ender and Filament-Inserting-Help
This Sensor has less friction as usual parts.
TPU, other flexible Filament, transparent - everyting - will be detected.
No influence to filament despoiling and extruder friction.
This Sensor is mounted directly on intake-hole of extruder, so inserting filament in extruder will become very simple.
For more information (in german) visit my homepage (search "Ender").
For buildup you need:
1x Bearing Ball MR63ZZ 3x6x2,5mm (Amazon or other)
1x Mikroswitch: 20x6x10mm with Roller on 18mm arm (Amazon or other)
Full List on my homepage with links for sources. This part is created with Fusion 360, feel free to change it for adapting to other printers or improving model.
doesn´t matter don´t klick this link, i don´t know where it comes :-(
- After printing, please finalize outgoing hole with a 2.5mm driller. After that use a 2.3mm driller to finalize ingoing hole. Assembly needs no screws.
- Press bearing ball on seat,
- insert microswitch,
- solder pcb-board on switch (locking switch and board on place).
For mounting sensor on Ender, you need a DIN912-Screw M5x6mm, a washer (DIN125) and a sliding-block for the aluminium-profile (20mm) - that's all.
For further installation on Ender you need a "Pin 27 Adapterboard" or simply you do it by your own see mostfun.de, 2 3-pin-Servo-cable. After Hardware-work, you need to reflash software of Ender with enabled Filament-Sensor on Pin 27.
How i designed it
- First I tried several "Filament-Runout-Sensors" from Thingiverse.
- I made a requirement-list
- I made several concepts (Ball, Ultrasound, Impedance, bearing-ball)
- I buildup 2 different principle prototypes
- I decided for the bearing ball solution
- I made a first mechanical protoype
- I made a drawing with the final parts
- After that I started with Fusion 360
- After 6 refining loops, I got a suffient state/sensor :-)
- Now I published it for you