Filament Pass-Through (Parametric) using Old Wiper Blades as a Seal
by CodeCreations, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
a.k.a. Windshield Wiper Seal (Parametric)
This thing holds pieces of used windshield wiper blade rubber together in order to cover a gap in a channel while still permitting something to go through it. This is useful if you have a channel at the top of a ventilated case through which you pass filament.
It's fully parametric (18 parameters), very well commented, and each to configure. You can define the wiper blade properties including overlap, object properties including size and number of mounting holes, and screw and bracket properties.
The default values (and STL) are suitable for a filament guide and pass-through for a Printrbot LC enclosure, with a channel width of about 5.25 inches (134mm), and fastened with six M3 screws. The default support material angle is 45 degrees, and includes a 0.4mm solid layer inside the holes (to be drilled out) for better hole printing.
I use this as part of my parametric printer enclosure, which is available here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39787
1) Take apart an old windshield wiper and remove the rubber blade. (You can probably get the local service station to give you one they replace.) Measure the blade properties and add them to the User-defined values section.
2a) You'll probably need to run the STL through netfabb to clean it up. I still need to tweak the OpenSCAD file a bit to try to avoid those.
2b) Print (diagonally will probably get you the longest channel)
3) Cut wiper blade rubber to size, and install as shows in the pictures. The OpenSCAD file echos out precisely how long to cut the blades, as well as some other helpful information.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Filament Pass-Through (Parametric) using Old Wiper Blades as a Seal by CodeCreations is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving CodeCreations a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure CodeCreations would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).