by juniortan, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Medical prototype. My kid was in a hospital recently, and they had to put him on an IV. The current practice here is to place a support Under the wrist, tape everything up (for immobilization), and have the IV on top of the wrist. The problems we encountered were:
- No protection for the top of the wrist where the IV was, causing much anxiety on my part on whether the dude was gonna knock his wrist against anything and dislodge the IV needle, etc (wince!)
- Total lost of dexterity in the hands due to the support block
This prototype proposes to accomplish the following:
- immobilization of the wrist from the top instead, secured by velcro bands (currently testing using velcro cable ties)
- top of the wrist is protected by the Y arms of the brace, while still allowing the palm area to be secured by yet another velcro band
- Fingers can still move (a lot more than before), without compromising the IV placement
- A lot faster to deploy (dude had to change his dressings 3 times in five days, and each time I freaked out more than he did :-P )
- This design is NOT cupcakable (new word, boys and girls!). I had it printed and shipped from Shapeways.
- There are notches/indents on the Y-arms to allow the ends to be snapped off in case customization is needed between adults/children
Disclaimer: I am kind of medically trained, but am NOT from the medical profession; comments/feedback will be welcome
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
MediBrace by juniortan is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving juniortan a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure juniortan would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).