In the book -the Da Vinci Code- a cryptex plays an important role. The cryptex is a cylinder with an important document in it, protected by a code word which can be set by turning rings around the cylinder. This thing contains the files to print the parts which make a fully functional cryptex which can be printed on a 3D printer.
Three other cryptex designs are on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1751, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2695, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2708, but this design was started independently based on ideas found in instructables.com. The other thingiverse designs do not contain pictures and seem to have some design issues which probably means they were not completely finished.
A short video showing this cryptex in operation can be found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUNWvj0Q68
The printer used is my repstrap printer which is documented in the blog: http://pasutx.blogspot.com
Most parts are printed on a 3D printer. Several parts will need to be glued in place, the order is important.
- Print the cryptex*.stl files on a 3D printer according to the part list.
- Print the cryptex*.svg file on a normal paper printer (e.g. with inkscape).
- Cut the strips with a complete alphabet A-Z from the paper and check that it will fit exactly around the cryptex*-ring pieces. Glue the paper around the ring. The position of the paper will determine the code!
- Cut 5 small (1 cm) pieces of the filament you are using (PLA/ABS) and insert and glue them in the cryptex*-inner-tube piece.
- Put the 1 ring around the outer tube and insert the inner-tube into the outer-tube from the side with the wide colar (important!).
- Check the functioning of the locking mechanism. You should be able to insert/remove the inner-tube only when the right letter is in the right place.
- Add the other 4 rings one by one while checking that the rings can turn freely and the inner-tube can be removed easily which the right code.
- With all the 5 rings installed, glue the cryptex*-top.stl piece on the outer-tube. The top piece keeps all the rings from falling off when the inner-tube is removed.
- Glue a cryptex-handle.stl piece on the cryptex-top piece.
- Glue the other cryptex*-handle.stl piece on the inner-tube piece.
You should have a fully functioning cryptex now!
This thing can be improved. The blender file is attached with all the parts in it. All individual parts are on different layers to make editing easier.