Filament spindle holder v0.2

by Erik, published

Filament spindle holder v0.2 by Erik Apr 20, 2009



Filament spindle holder v0.2 by Erik is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.

Liked By

View All
Make Tomorrow...

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag


Thing Statistics

5968Views 1061Downloads Found in 3D Printer Accessories


Development stage: Work in progress

It measures 30 cm or 12 inch diameter. The discs will be 6 cm apart.

This is a filament spool that can be be mounted on the side of the Darwin. The image is an artistic illustration. When I've refined it an laser cut it, I will also post the final SVG that I have used for it.

If you have suggestions, please let me know.

It was made in Inkscape.


For the "Full version" you'll need:
15 M8 nuts (approximately)
2 skate bearings (I got mine from RRRF)
3 diagonal tie brackets
3 pieces of M8 threaded rod, each about 10 cm long.
1 some super glue (optional)

It was made for 6 mm acrylic, since It is strong and simply since I have a lot if it. The design is very easily adjusted for other sizes, almost all of the holes are cloned, you change the size of all of them if you change one.

The arcs that are missing (lasered out) are used to connect two of the lasered 'discs'. They will be evenly spaced. They should fit tightly (6mm).

I've added three holes for your finger (to turn it) if you want to roll filament onto it.

There is one elliptical hole, you can put the end of the filament through here and perhaps put a screw terminal on it so it stays in place.

You need to use an extra diagonal tie bracket to attach the center axis. Two more of you make the arms that keep the spindle tightly.

More from 3D Printer Accessories

view more

All Apps

Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse Apps

No results.

Hey Erik could you upload the file as a DXF? The InkScape file appears to distort when imported. I had noticed the spindle wobbled when i built mine, but didn't realize it was because of the files until just now. Thanks!

Oh dear god! First this is the first time i take the filament out of the box. Also first time handling filament ever in my life. Anyone out there have any suggestions on dealing with a tangled mess such as the one shown above. This seems to defy physics. There are knots where the filament should never have crossed itself!

Otherwise the Spool is magnificent! :-D


You should unroll it when it's rolled up. That means that you if pick up coils and wind them onto something else, you have to keep rotating the spool. When things are all entangled, I don't have a good way to fix it, I've had that a couple of times... it suchs. You could cut the coil in maybe four segments or so. That makes the problem a bit easier. The segments will still be long enough that you can print for a very long time without refilling.

Thanks for making my 'thing' :) Looks pretty on the stand. If you like, please make a derivative which includes your stand so that people can choose to make a free standing version or one attached to the machine.

I did unroll it but I forgot to secure the other end and it appears to have laid over the rest of the roll then weaving in and out and making the mess shown above.

I think i will try your method of splitting it into 4 parts.

As far as making the Derivative, ill try to do my best and get it up soon. The problem is i designed it 'impromptu' while the spindle was being cut. So the source files are on the machine hooked to the laser cutter. So next time i head over to cut something ill have to copy the files somewhere.
Either that or ill have to redesign the stand. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks again Erik! The design is great and inspiring. When i was first assembling it i was like "What!? There is no mention of M5 nuts?" and i was wondering how i was supposed to assemble the piece which encloses the bear
ings. Then the light bulb turned on. The small piece which opposes the 'rounder' part has holes which fit snugly onto the M5 bolt. So i tapped and screwed on. Its a perfect fit! Although the 6mm acrylic is a little thinner then the bearing, so the bearing is loose inside, but the brackets hold
them in place just fine.

Also once assembled, trying to tighten the M8 nuts from the inside and outside of the spindle is very difficult. Maybe if the bearing enclosures were made of thinner acrylic then it may be easier.

Hope this info is of some use to someone and my thoughts weren't too incohe
rent. Ill post my source files when i get a chance. For the impatient here is a list of parts i used:

3 - 12cm M8 Rods
12 - M8 Flat Washers
14 - M8 Nuts
2 - Skate Bearings
6 - M5x16 Bolts

2x FilamentHolder.svg
2x Stand Files (To be uploaded soon)

The assembly is somewhat intuitive, but
ill post the final one when i get the files and instructions finalized.