Laird's Customizable Pen UPDATED
by laird, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Print a personalized pen body that fits the Pilot G2 ink cartridge. Includes cap and plug so it's fully usable.
Updated so it can print right-handed or left-handed text. Thanks for the request!
Things I'm proud of:
- Cap slides on nicely.
- Plug inserts and turns to lock into place. (See detail rendering)
- Code is highly parametric, so it's been used to print pens for the Hi-Tec C, with a good, smooth fit.
Updated to expose a parameters to enable/disable support, or print individual parts. Thanks for the requests!
Want a pen that nobody can steal? Print one with your name on it. Or any other message you like. Very popular for birthdays and demos - the Pen prints fairly quickly, is personalized, and useful!
Use the Customizer and enter:
- Label is your name or another message
- Font. You know this one.
- Squish is a text scaling factor. 0.5 is narrow, 1.5 is wide. Adjust until the text fills the middle of the pen body. Leave an inch on either end for the cap to fit on.
- Letterspace controls the spacing between letters. 1.0 is normal. Fiddle with this if you like.
- txs: text shift (up/down) 0 is centered, 1.5 shifts down, centering text that has no descenders.
- c: color to print. 0 = one color, 1 = body, 2=text. Render both body and text to merge for dualstrusion.
- parts: All on one plate, or just the body, cap or plug. Print the pieces one at a time if you want to use different colors, or all at once for convenience.
- Ears: enable.disable 'ears' on the ends of the pen to reduce warping
- Support: enable or disable support under the tip to reduce warping
Print one, at least 20% infil - 100% infil doesn't use much plastic, and the pen is stronger. Make sure you have your filament diameter calibrated - the fit of the cap and plug to the body is precise. Peel off the 'ears' at the ends of the pen. and carve off the support under the tip of the pen (see detail rendering). Insert a Pilot G2 ink cartridge into the pen. Insert the plug to hold the ink cartridge, and turn it to lock it into place.
Pilot G2 cartridges are available at any office supply store, or http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Refill-Grip-ExecuGel-Point/dp/B004E2TY0C .
Write. The G2 is a great gel cartridge, and yours is truly unique!
When you're done, put the cap on.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Laird's Customizable Pen UPDATED by laird is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving laird a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure laird would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).