A single piece print which makes it easy to change filament on your Printrbot Simple Metal. This thing slips over the extruder and adds leverage to the spring arm. An extra arm on the bottom makes it very easy to pinch, as well as make sure that you aren't bending your Metal printer. Another side benefit is support for the pivot screw, which ordinarily deflects somewhat when the arm is pressed.
- Print this thing.
- Heat up your hot end.
- Press the arm on your extruder, feeling the pain for the last time, and remove your filament by pulling it up and out of the extruder.
- Slip this thing over the front of your extruder. No tools are required.
- You may have to bend the top arm of this thing upwards a slight angle to match the angle of the extruder's arm. It's designed to bend :)
- Make sure the pivot screw head engages with the hole in the thing.
- Make sure the thing seats well by pushing it firmly on to the extruder. Mine actually makes a satisfying snap.
- Heat your hot end again.
- Pinch the cantilevered ends of the thing to activate the arm motion, and insert the filament through the hole on top.
Openscad source is included in case you want to modify or have fitting issues. Apologies if it's kinda complex.
This shape was intended to match the design aesthetics of the machine.