Handheld Direction Finding Antenna
by Die_Bastelkammer, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a handheld wideband antenna for direction finding and transmitter hunting. The frequency range is based on the used LPDA antenna. In this case I use a PCB Log Periodic Antenna from WA5VJB with a RX range of 900 to 2600 MHz.
The PCB antenna is mounted into a radome housing, which is also a based on printed parts. You will find the files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:464417
• Grips are covered with Plastidip and Silicone rubber inlays (selfmade Oogoo)
• Compass will give bearing to source , two different options are possible: Analog compass or GPS compass (iPhone with Griffin case )
• Detachable armrest will support operator during a long term usage
• Handheld Direction Finding Antenna can be mounted onto a camera tripod as well
• Antenna (radome) is fully detachable
• Very wideband performance in a practical size
• Horizontal and vertical polarisation thru rotating mechanism
• WA5VJB PCB antenna gives an excellent radiation pattern
• The pistol grip like construction is small, light (approx. 375g without iPhone), robust and easily operated by a single person
• All parts are printed in PLA with 20% infill and layer height of 0,2mm
More details can be found on my blog Die Bastelkammer, where I posted the genesis of the antenna radome and the handheld grip with armrest. Yu will find the lastest blog post about the project here: http://diebastelkammer.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/rdf-handheld-direction-finding-antenna-nun-mit-iphone-gps-kompass/
Needed parts, beside printed ones:
• Aluminium tube (20mm diameter, 275mm long)
• M6 screw, 50mm long (1x)
• M6 self securing nut (1x)
• ¾“ nut (1x)
• M3 nuts (3x)
• M3 screw
• Oogoo or Sugru
• Small compass (Dia. 20mm)
• iPhone with Griffin case
• Filler paint, spray paint
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Handheld Direction Finding Antenna by Die_Bastelkammer is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Die_Bastelkammer a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Die_Bastelkammer would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).