Your Big Face
by NewAmericanPublicArt, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Adaptation of Low Poly Face by #Kongorilla.
Your Big Face has been scaled up and redesigned for production in coroplast material (aka plastic cardboard). Designed to be cut from 48" x 96" pieces of coroplast on a shopbot (or other CNC router), this face is about 12' tall when assembled. It includes 1/4" bolt holes on tabs that align for easy assembly and fastening.
We made this to provide a fun face-making experience for festival attendees at light & projection festivals.
1) Download files, and scale them up/down if you want to. Just make sure the bolt hole positioning and size don't get messed up when you scale. There are 12 files containing 19 parts, in both EPS and AI format - take your pick. Just make sure you use all 12 files and aren't missing any parts.
2) Acquire 4' x 8' sheets of coroplast. Professional signmaker shops are a good place to look.
3) Cut out pieces on a large shopbot or other cnc router. The red lines should be through cuts, the blue lines should just score the top surface of coroplast to make a nice foldy/bendy seam. Most seams are "mountain folds", but some are "valley folds". Even though all the scores will be on the top side, you can bend coroplast the wrong way into a valley fold if you coax it.
4) Use 1/4" bolts, nuts, and washers to attach panels together. Start at the sides & top of the head, and work your way toward the middle. Use the "Assembly" jpg as an assembly guide (note - this is not a design file. Don't use this to cut from, the scale & holes are all wrong).
5) Create an internal structural framework. We made a 3' tall version that stood up on its own, but at 12' scale it is quite floppy, and requires some internal support.
6) Project peoples' faces onto it. Or not! Tie it to a giant weather balloon and float some faces into the sky. Totally up to you. Enjoy!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse Apps
Your Big Face by NewAmericanPublicArt is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving NewAmericanPublicArt a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure NewAmericanPublicArt would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).