If you're like me you can't stand to throw out perfectly good pill bottles! Here's a Bracket System that will let you put them to good use. Using the power of the Thingiverse Customizer and OpenSCAD, you can build the perfect bracket system for your needs. Use any size pill bottle, or mix sizes. The Customizer allows you to make single or triple hexes or a stand of half hexes to hold them. You can even tweak the linkage size to work well with your printer! Put those pill bottles to reuse!
Remember: OpenSCAD uses millimeters as its unit of measure!
- Select the size pill bottle you want to start with. The big bottles in the images are 2" (50mm) diameter bottles. 1.5" (39mm) bottles are also common. Note that the code uses radius values, not diameter values!
- Use the customizer or modify the .SCAD file to determine if you want to print a single hex, a joined set of three hexes in a triangle or a stand of half hexes. Use the variable __stand_hexes__ to define how many half hexes will be in the stand.
- Choose whether you want the hex size to be proportional to the bottle or different. If different, you can mix different size bottles in the same bracket.
- Set the rest of the configurable variables if desired to mod the part thickness or linkage size. The variable expansion defines how much larger the indent is than the extrusion for the linkage.
- Infill of .25 results in a very strong bracket. Use more infill if you reduce the thickness from the default 4mm