I got the idea to model the bust of a rhino, and print it in a "wireframe" style like I'd done with previous designs. This one is produced with a different wireframe creation technique however, where I instead generated blobby particles along the polygonal edges, and converted the results back into polygons.
I tried to minimize overhang issues by tracking the angle of the edges via a Python script in Maya. Very little cleanup was needed after print: No raft or support material needed.
The frame is actually a pattern I drew on some scrap MDF (nothing 3d printed there) , jigsawed out, and then routed the edges plus slapped on some white paint. Print is affixed via epoxy.
The rhino I painted red on the inside, and sprayed rubberized black undercoating on the outside.
Alternatively, some people see a penguin walking up the wall. Once you see it, you can't unsee it....
Successfully printed in "natural" PLA on Makerbot Replicator.
Sliced using Makerware, "medium" settings:
2 shells, 10% infill, 210 deg extruder, HBP off.
Printed in 4hours, 41min, and weighs in at 52g... which worked out to a material cost of $2.29 (not counting shipping...).
Print size at the neck is about 3" wide, 4" high, close to 6" long from neck to nose.