Since I have not yet bought proper lamps for the new house, I thought I'd make a nicer lamp shade. I looked around for one, but decided to make my own. Being a mechanical engineer, I thought, "Why not something that's well engineerd?" Then I saw that a proper and functional turbine would not look even remotely ok, so I modified it for more of an aesthetic look. This is the result.
If you choose to make one, keep in mind NOT to use it with an incandescent light bulb. Flourecent or LED bulbs would be wiser. You don't want the heat to melt it or set it on fire. Having said that, use at your own risk.
I added a PlainLampShade that can be used with the same MountingBase. It was originally going to be a simple lamp shade, but it evolved slightly. I guess you could roll your own lamp shades, if you really wanted to. Let me know if you are interested in that and need any dimensions.
I just added another version with 14 blades. This other version uses shorter but wider blades, and also have a thinner base. These blades use the different BladesBase_x14, but can work on the 16-blade BladesBase.
Replaced the X3G file for the "Blade - Shorter" with the STL version.
Added 2 pics, now of the shorter blade, on the 16 slot BladesBase.
Added STLs for the whole assembly for both versions. Probably useless for printing because of the size, but good for seeing the model as an assembly. You could also get overall dimensions of the shades once they're put together.
Printed on natural ABS at 0.2mm layer height and no supports. The blades have no infill. Because they are quite narrow, I printed them with a raft. Just make sure the first layer does stick to the raft. You'll need to print 16 blades. Each takes a little over an hour. Total print time is about 28 hours for the blades and bases.
If you do not have cooling fans, I suggest you print several blades in one build. That would allow the thin tips of the blades to cool off enough before laying down the next layer, once it's around +97%. Not letting them cool enough will give you slightly deformed tips.
Note: The tabs on the BladesBase are a little fragile. They do their job fine, but they broke off after mounting and removing a couple of times (for testing). Fixed with super glue. On hind sight, I would make them wider and "coat" them with acetone (to make the layers still better between them).
For installation over the light socket, I used the same screws that attach the socket to the ceiling. They were long enough.