Parametric Flex Box written in post script. With mm, cm, inch.
More info in the instructions.
Hi, Version 1.4 is here with all the extras of V1.3.3 but without the bugs.
New stuff includes:
- New layout that uses less material
- Finger hole to easily open the box again.
- Hinges are different colour, so you can order what gets cut first.
Version 1.4 is now the current one, versions 1.4.x are experimental. Use V1.4 unless you want a buggy script, all previous version will stay on here if you want to use them.
There are suggestions on var values in the Usage section.
Go have fun.
Open the .ps file in you image editor (I use Inkscape), it does some magic and draws the box to the dimension in the file. As default there is no stroke to the lines so select all and set it to you colour.
To change the box dimensions open the .ps file in your text editor (e.g. geany, notepad) you can then change the vars at the top of the file. More instructions in the file.
Suggested min corner radius 15mm any smaller then plywood can't flex and snaps. Greater for acrylic.
This limited the smallest box you can make to about 60mm height and 60mm length. Width isn't limited(that I know of).
To change the units just change x in "/unit x def" to one of the units above it (mm,cm,inch).
I didn't write this, all credit goes to Brian Dahlem (bdahlem). I am simply maintaining and updating little bits.
Tested with a 50x50x50mm box 10mm radius fits fine and to dimensions.
Let me know if anything doesn't work and I'll try and fix it.
Also I am happy to try and add features
Note for windows users
if you to use PS files in windows you will need this too: http://clownfishcafe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/importing-eps-files-into-inkscape.html
Linux it seams to be fine.
- Removed text from the output image. Was causing Inkscape to fail with the import.
- Changed the unit select system.
- Added missing mul from corner radius (my bug).
- Changed line with to 0.004mm so it's visible in Inkskape on import but shouldn't cause a problem.
- Added fingerTabs in the lid so you can get open set to 0 for no hole.
- Re-done layout so both side panels are on top. I believe it's a more efficient use of material
- Added inset for fingerTab so you can make flatter holes.
- Setting fingerTab to 0 removes the hole from the drawing.
- Changed color of the hinge lines to make sure you can laser them first (My laser software was cut the outside before the hinges). Hinges Red, outline Black.
Version 1.4 (stable):