This is a work-in-progress (not fabricated/prototyped yet), exploring how to design a CNC/laser cuttable extruder head assembly for Makerbot/CandyFab applications.
- Target material is 0.9mm thick steel/aluminum as provided by http://www.ponoko.com/
- Routed channels are 1mm or 2mm wide
Bolt-holes are 2mm in diameter.
- The pieces are to bolt together, then heater wire wrapped around the indented sides.
- Material is fed from the top; air from the side ports.
If a magnetic material like steel is chosen for the Upper Plate, air feeds could be magnetically attached.
- Total design height is 70mm to allow for three stages of heater-wire wrap for graduated heating temperatures.
Removing one or two of the stages would shorten the height by 16mm or 32mm respectively.
- License set to Attribution - Share Alike - Creative Commons. Feel free to adapt and make money off it as long as you share your mods!
Route or laser-cut out the individual pieces captured in the SVG files.
- The SVG files were generated from SketchUp using the FlightOfIdeas SVG exporter plug-in.
- See the SketchUp file to see what is cut-out versus solid.
Center Layer x 1
Inner Layer x 2
Outer Layer x 2
Upper Nozzle x 2
** Upper Plate x 2
Depending on manufacturing process artifacts, may need to grind and polish surfaces for a better seal. May need to bevel the edges in the heater-wire wrap area to prevent failure.
Assemble on bolts in order from outside to inside, back to outside. Check orientation at each stage to make sure pass-through overlapping points orient correctly to see through to next layer.
3.1. Upper Plate
3.2. Upper Nozzle
3.3. Outer Layer
3.4. Inner Layer
3.5. Center Layer
3.6. Inner Layer
3.7. Outer Layer
3.8. Upper Nozzle
3.9. Upper Plate
Wrap heater wire.
Install temperature sensor(s).
- Profile and test