Earbud Holder Redux - 20% longer and more!
by skovgaar, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
We all love sneakypoo's clamshell earbud holder, but my skullcandy earbuds just didn't fit. I wanted the cup to be about 20% longer, but scaling it in the z direction would have ovalized the pivot holes. I ended up printing a version 20% scaled up in all directions, but it ended up being just too big. Sadness.
So, I decided to make a version that fit my needs, and while I was at it I improved (or tried to) the design in a few ways.
1) 20% longer: now it fits my earbuds without feeling so huge in my pocket
2) Eased up the overhangs on the core piece: now they are ~45 degrees max
3) Swapped the pivot nubs for holes and vice versa. I had issues printing the clamshell pieces because the little pivot nubs would curl up and the nozzle would knock the whole thing off the print bed when it hit them. I swapped the design and it seems to have improved this a little, there is still a little bumping when the tops of the horizontal holes are being filled, but it's not as bad as previously. It also adds some visual interest to a two-tone print.
Print the core with the cup facing up and with external support. Print the clamshell pieces with the holes up at the top.
I did .1mm layers, 2 shells, 20% infill.
Make sure to look at sneakypoo's original page for a critical tip on how to assemble the pieces without breaking them: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36321
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Earbud Holder Redux - 20% longer and more! by skovgaar is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving skovgaar a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure skovgaar would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).