This is the DIYElectronics.co.za CharlStruder, A variant of the venerable Greg's Wade extruder. We found a bunch of other peoples designs each with there own merits, but none with all we wanted!
We took these ideas as inspiration and decided to start from scratch and integrate them all into one complete unit! This is V1.0 and there may yet be more, but we think that this is the most complete extruder unit yet :). Thank you to all the other designs available, we tried to include you all.
- Standard Greg Wade design, used M8 hobbed bolt, 3x 608zz bearings, extruder springs, gregs wade style gears etc.
- Two mounting options, standard Prusa i3 X Carriage and new Prusa i3 Rework 4 screw mount (need the rework 4 bearing carriage for that, see i3 Rework E3D Extruder)
- Birdnose guidler quick release system, uses 2x M4x75 machine screws, cam style clamp, modified guidler and extruder that allows you to open the extruder without changing the extruder tension! (We were sick of unscrewing the standard gregs wade!) Filament changes and jams are now a breeze!
- Changed geometry that moves the motor 90' and back such that the center of mass (COM) is more or less over the X-Axis shafts.
- E3D / J-head moved upwards to allow more Z travel and bigger prints as well as reducing the moment force on the X-Carriage thus reducing -wobble- .
- Improved E3D / J-head mounting clamp that makes installation and changing very easy and fast!
- Extruder fan mount.
- Drawn in supports and bridges, creates a perfect print with even the worst slicers!
- Large stepper motor mounting slots allowing you plenty of movement to get good gear meshing.
Should fit standard Prusa i3 carriages and Rework carriages
Download the correct variant! Either the E3D or J-Head depending on your hot-end (J-head has slightly bigger mounting groove and is shorter than the E3D so the entire hot-end is moved down)
And the correct filament size: 1.75mm or 3.00mm
Also download and print 1 each of the 3 birdnose files if you wish to use those.
You will also need some gregs wades gears, there are many examples out there..
Other hardware needed:
- 1x M8 Hobbed bolt + Nylock nut
- ~10x M8 Washers
- 3x 608zz skate bearing
- 1x short 20mm M8 shaft to hold bearing in guidler
- 2x M4x75 machine screws and some M4 washers
- 2x M4 nuts
- 2x 30mm strong extruder springs to go over M4's
- 3x M3x12 screws for stepper motor mount
- 1x M3x30 guidler screw
- 2x M3x35 or longer screws for hotend mount
- 3x M3 nuts
- 6x M3 washers
Print in ABS or other high temp plastic with ~1mm wall thickness, 20-25% infill and 0.3mm layer height.