Loading

Dual E3D V6, Independently Height Adjustable Mount for Rostock Max V2 - Locknut Mod

by wcarver1, published

Dual E3D V6, Independently Height Adjustable Mount for Rostock Max V2 - Locknut Mod by wcarver1 Mar 4, 2015
1 Share
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Order This Printed View All Apps

Contents

A part of these Groups

View All

Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Makes

Thing Statistics

4660Views 580Downloads Found in 3D Printer Extruders

Summary

Modified E3D Dual Mount for the RoStock MAX V2; includes head clearance for all three M3 SHCS to mount/adjust 2nd extruder. Also reworked "Mount 2" to include clearance for M3 nylocks.

I'm thinking I'll do a V3 that incorporates M3 or 6-32 helicoils directly into the part.

V2 parts have now been netfabbed.

Instructions

Printed in solid ABS.

Assembly is a bit wonky:

  1. Mount 1 above the platform; Extruder 1 below; Extruder 1 mounted in its groove on Mount 1

  2. Mount 1 w/ Extruder 1 located on platform but not attached

  3. Locknuts loaded into Mount 2_V2; Extruder 2 mounted in its groove on Mount 2_V2

  4. Mount 2 w/ Extruder 2 brought up from underside of platform

  5. Lots of wiggling and alignment until top surfaces of Mount 1 and Mount 2 are coplanar and Mounts are located on/in platform

  6. Load screws into Top; thread screws into Mount 2_V2 locknuts; tighten sequentially to maintain reasonable parallelism between Top and Mounts until Top contacts Mounts

  7. Run 6-32 hardware from underside of platform to secure assembly to platform.

  8. Adjust height of Extruder 2 to match Extruder 1

  9. Do the 6,000 other things you have to do to get your RoStock MAX V2 to run dual extruders...

More from 3D Printer Extruders

view more

All Apps

3D Print your file with 3D Hubs, the world’s largest online marketplace for 3D printing services.

App Info Launch App

Auto-magically prepare your 3D models for 3D printing. A cloud based 3D models Preparing and Healing solution for 3D Printing, MakePrintable provides features for model repairing, wall thickness...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

Print through a distributed network of 3D printing enthusiasts from across the US, at a fraction of the cost of the competitors. We want to change the world for the better through technology, an...

App Info Launch App

Quickly Scale, Mirror or Cut your 3D Models

App Info Launch App

3D Print a wide range of designs with Treatstock. Easy to use tools to get the perfect result. The global 3D printing network that connects you with high-quality and fast working print services nea...

App Info Launch App

Has anyone tried this on a rostock max V3 yet?

hi, i printed and assembled but how should I do the height regulation ?

I wonder which cold end are you using for doing this mod ?

x2 EZStruder with a modified faceplate for flexible filaments:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:667301

And Alextoff's Dual EZStruder mount:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:364325

EZStruder modified for soft filaments & TPE
Dual EZStruder Mount for the Rostock Max V2

The V2 parts seem to be problematic. There's a lot of non-manifold vertices, and something about the modified version is giving slic3r problems beyond that. I haven't quite figured out what slic3r doesn't like about it yet, but it takes a very long time processing it and eventually runs out of memory where the original parts process in a few seconds. I tried cura on it just for fun and cura segfaults on it.

Try the *_fixed versions.

The fixed versions are closer; the non-manifold vertices are gone anyway. It looks like something in the process changed the scale of the part, slic3r is reporting it to be 1000 times larger than the original (units issue, m vs mm?), so it was running out of ram generating the tool paths for a part that size. Unfortunately slic3r's ability to scale parts is limited to integer values, so I can't put in .1%, but when I'm home from work this evening with more time to tinker, I'll try scaling it down in something else and see if that works.

I'm having no issue scaling to 0.001 which converts the meters of the part file to millimeters. In short, when I remix a file from STL format, SW brings it in with units of meters regardless of the original file units. If the file is then modified and scaled, not all the vertices scale with the modifications so I tend to leave units as meters and export to STL, then scale by 0.001 prior to slicing.

Slic3r does a nice job at slicing, but it's pretty limited at manipulation. That said, I pulled it into meshlab real quick and it scaled down nicely there, and it looks great in slic3r now. Thanks for your help!

Ran these on our uPrintSE through CatalystEX which is notoriously forgiving of crappy geometry. I should probably get in the habit of post-processing these as SW seems to like barfing out crap STLs...

Top