Illuminated Dalek NSD 10cm / 4" Hemisphere, Hollow for Disco Dalek
by kresty, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
A friend of L3-G0's wanted some disco hemispheres so she could party! Not sure if we'll use these, but we needed a demo that the general idea might work. (It'd take days to print 56 of these, so maybe we can find 100mm ones easier.)
You could also use it for an ornament or something. See Instructions for more info.
Please support my designs
This is a 100mm hemisphere, and a "Oil Seal" surround to go with it. The Surround has a space for a WS2812B LED on a 10mm chip carrier, with a small channel to run some wires.
If you want the Surround/Hemisphere, print the unannotated hemisphere, which has a 5mm lip that fits snugly in the surround. I've also included a 10mm lip if that helps you with other mounting options, and solid, which may print better.
I printed the 5mm lip hemisphere in translucent ABS at .2mm layer height. The scad files have parameters to adjust the supports if it isn't working for you. Took about 2 hours.
I printed the surround at low resolution because the "real" one had some lines on the sides. Took about an hour. There's a centred version if you don't want the LED. The LED version needs supports.
The surround has a tiny hole for a WS2812B LED to poke up in the middle, with a disc underneath for a 10mm carrier. There is also a channel for small gauge wire to hook them up.
There are one or two holes in the surrounds to hold an M4 bolt. There's room for a 1mm deep washer under the bolt to distribute the load (in other words, to keep from cracking the plastic.) that washer needs to be 14mm or less in diameter.
There are also a holder for each bolt head, to hold the head/nut in place while you gently turn from the other side.
1) Place the surrounds on your Dalek and mark and drill the holes.
2) If using LEDs, drill holes for the wires and connect the LEDs. Leave enough slack so that you can put the LED in the holder when attaching it.
3) Insert bolts into the surround holes, and use the nut plate cap thing to hold the bolt head. Mine kinda hold themselves, but you may decide to glue on the nut plate.
4) Attach the hemisphere to the surround using your favorite adhesive. (They almost stay in place by themselves)
5) Before attaching the whole thing to the Dalek, make sure to put the LED in it's holder. You may need a bit of tape or tacky gum stuff to keep it from falling out while you install it.
6) Place the surround/hemisphere/led combo, and bolt from the inside.
The main hollow hemisphere is the difference of two nested domes. The inside dome is slightly lower to try to make the top a little thicker. The middle seems to still be a little thin on mine, but works.
Note: I'm not planning on building a whole Dalek, these are for a friend who's already mostly done. More info is on the Project Dalek boards at projectdalek.com
Please support my designs
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Illuminated Dalek NSD 10cm / 4" Hemisphere, Hollow for Disco Dalek by kresty is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving kresty a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure kresty would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).