As many guys I started with a Mendel90. My printer was bulit according nophead github files with some changes due to parts availability. If you print PLA all is fine but when starting with ABS or other stuff a very small smell of a wind can destroy your print. I looked on thingiverse and in several online resources but nothing was appropriate to cover the Dibond version without having an extra housing. The design was done in 123D Design. My printer frame is from 3mm aluminium sheets but there is no difference in general.
As I am not using any 300mm spool I changed the spool and filament parts on the back also to get a fine rear covering: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:744868
The cover plates are made from corrugated cardbox material. Of course, you can use Dibond, Acrylic, Polycarbonate or something similar with 3mm thickness but cardbox is the cheapest. The moveable top cover should be cutted from 4mm material to ensure less bending.
FreeRider did from his make an assembly vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtCV-YE-bg . Enjoy.
UPDATE 2017-10: Added the 123Design file and STEP file. Not the best but sufficient for further development. I do not know when or if I will continue with the details.
UPDATE 2017-03: Just adding the last changes within this month.
UPDATE 2015-04-07: Vertical stand has been printed but for the other parts I am struggling with bad filament causing print failures after some hours of printing. New material already ordered.
- Main picture updated to latest version
- Latch grip modified (longer, thicker) ->V1.1
- Locking pin added
- fixing block added
- cover plates and drill scheme added
Layer height: 0.2
Top / Bottom: 5
Speed: 50mm/s with decreased speed for shell / bottom
Infill as stated above 25%, except for the fixing blocks with 90%(slighlty reduced from noheads proposal)!
Print times and weights with skirt of 10 lines:
2h38 black parts 25g
20h00 white parts long 190g
8h30 white parts small 84g
14h12 green parts long 136g
1h11 green parts small 12g
total print time 46h,5h and 447g ABS
STILL UNDER PROGRESS COME BACK LATER
One guy who made this enclosure put all parts of the front housing on one plate. I used several colors and split the prints into small and long parts. Therefore print time etc will vary. Sliced with Cura. I have not tested with Skinforge or Slic3er but it will be probably not faster;) Accuracy is quite ok for this project.
Each stl has to be printed x times as the number in front of the part suggests (e.g. door handle 3 times) :
1 set brackets bottom (1LH / 1RH)
1 set brackets top (1LH / 1RH)
3 pcs door handle
2 pcs latch
2 sets hinges (2LH / 2RH)
2 sets front stand (2LH / 2RH)
1 set quarter spheres (1LH / 1RH) -> only part to be printed with support
1 set top front
1 set top guide
2 pcs fixing block
1 pc locking pin
2 pcs. door 3mm
2 pcs. cover side 3mm
1 pc. cover top 4mm
1 pc. cover top aft 4mm
1 pc. cover back aft 3mm
3mm rod L=
6mm rod L=
cap screw M3x10
washer M3 x 7mm x 0.5mm
-- to be filled --
M3 screw tap