Yet another Mendel90 spool holder. I designed this because I had a piece of 10mm round steel lying about and I wanted a pair of brackets in which it would snap-fit.
The snap-fit works fine and the bracket seems sturdy enough. I have noticed, though, that the back plates of the printer are quite flexible. This might be a problem: if you bend the plates outward far enough, the rod cal fall out. I don't think this will be a problem in daily operations, but I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Update (v1.1) (20-4-2013): made the screw holes a bit elongated, so the holes in the back plates don't have to line up perfectly.
Update (v1.2) (20-4-2013): improved the rod support bit, with a better and more predictable snap fit setting.
- [optional] Customize the thing to your taste.
- Print two of these things on your Mendel90 (you do have one, right?)
- Drill two holes in each back plate (25mm apart by default) .
- Affix the brackets using M4 bolts. Tap the back plates if you like, otherwise just use nuts.
I used Cura to slice it and then printed it on my Mendel90.
- .3mm layers
- .8mm walls
- .6mm solid top and bottom
- 30% infill
Next time, I might make the solid top/bottom thicker (.9mm) and give it more infill (50% or so).