This is my second go at designing a printable trumpet. Unfortunately none of the old pieces will be compatible with the new version aside from the mouthpiece I guess.
I finished this as of 7/14/15. It still doesn't sound great but that's not incredibly surprising. video
What I changed?
I increased the diameter of the tubes especially in the middle bit and made them circles instead of stupid ovals. Should still print fine without supports.
The entire thing should be more printer friendly. Most of the pieces are 5 inches or less with the tallest one being about 5.6 inches. If that is still an issue let me know.
- You don't need rubber bands to hold the valves down assuming you find adequate springs to push the valves up. Still may need rubber bands to keep the tubes from wobbling about unless I or you make some sort of braces.
I'm still working on what to do for this. I bought 3 springs at a hardware store but I can't find a part number for them. You're gonna want some kind of compression spring with a spring rate of about .7 lb/in this can vary I guess and I suggest just finding something that feels like the right pressure. You want it to have a compressed length of no more than 1 cm, a rest length of at least 17ish mm (preferably more). And you want a diameter of preferably larger than 10 mm but no more than 17 mm.
Let me know if you have questions about this, I know it's kind of specific.