All my designs & progress available @ http://marginallyclever.com. I can make one for you if you want.
Some times creation is all about low hanging fruit. I already have a Rotary Stewart Platform (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:64396) and I suck at Kerbal Space Program. I thought if I could make a 6DOF joystick maybe I could do better at orbital rendezvous. It could also work in Minecraft or Descent, maybe.
If you use one of my designs, please let me know! I'd love to see what you make with it and share with others who are interested.
It would be awesome if someone would help improve the kinematics for this robot. Forward kinematics are beyond my math skills and they're essential to make the joystick complete.
- get the code from github.com/MarginallyClever/RotaryStewartPlatform/
- get the parts kit from bit.ly/ZO0Dec or laser cut this design. You'll need two frames, one end effector1, and three end effector 2.
- get three TAMIYA 70171 kits. Cut the M3 rods in half.
- modify the servos: remove the pcbs and wire the potentiometer directly to the cable.
- assemble as you see in the pictures. You'll have one extra end effector plate when you're done. Use the extra M3 rods to sandwich the two frame plates together, securing the servos in place.
- upload firmware
- drive one stewart platform from another