I have a Sunhokey Prusa I3 3D printer that works quite pretty good and even so I still tinker and made some modifications to make it better.
The previous improvements/modifications I have done are the following:
Now the printer were supposed to have a build size of 200 x 200 x 180 but due to the size of the borosilicate glass and the clamp obstructing the hot end movement, the achievable build size is 180 x 180 x 180.
From my previous improvement (above link) I managed to extend the X-Y area by using terminal lugs clamping method. Now I have a 195 x 190 x 180 build size. But I did not stop there specially when I noticed that the hot end position on the X-carriage is too low and I thought I could get at least 20mm additional Z height if I can just reposition the nozzle/hot end.
At the same time the cooling fan position is quite annoying and the fan bumps to the right Z-carriage when I maximize my X travel.
So I decided to design a new X-carriage with the nozzle positioned 20mm higher and the cooling fan located inside the carriage assembly (not protruding the X-carriage to prevent it from hitting the right Z-carriage).
See photos for details.
Photos shows my prototype and I have made a bit of revisions so the attached OBJ files are the latest revisions which gives better result I believe.
I prefer to print flat oriented object since it's a lot stronger compared to object printed with upright/vertical oriented portion so my X-carriage design were divided to flat objects and just fastened it using super glue or screws. Oh and I hate using nut on the screws so I just provided screw holes and forced thread it using the existing screws. LOL
The result is quite good. I now have a seemingly compact X-carriage with the cooling fan tucked inside and the nozzle positioned higher giving me additional 20mm Z height. My build size capability now is X195 x Y190 x Z200.
By the way, if ever you don't want to apply the whole modification and just wanted the cooling fan holder, you can just print the fan holder and install it to the original acrylic X-carriage since the dimensions of my design was based from the original.
My design is also made to fit small/short slider block (original setup) and big/longer slider block.
Hope this will be helpful to everyone too and really love to see it applied to your Sunhokey printer :)
Keep printing everyone.... cheers!
I just wanted to show a sample print of my printer and the quality is really comparable to those expensive 3D printer of the same type (FDM technology). Size of the skull is 30~40mm
UPDATES/REVISIONS (May 11, 2015)
I made a Version 3 of the Main part A and B (screw holes provided). The revision was triggered when I made this thing http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:820510
It made me realized that it would be much easier to put the timing belt if the timing belt holder is removable.
UPDATES (June 9, 2015)
I made a modified Z-endstop holder to go along with this improvement. You can find it here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:640943