Laser Cutter Kerf Gauge
by elplatt, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Measure the kerf of a laser cutter without a caliper!
To determine the kerf of your laser cutter:
- Cut this file with the desired material, speed, and power.
- Drop the gauge through one of the holes in the tab.
- When the gauge sticks, read the first label above the tab. This is your kerf.
How it works:
The width of the gauge (in the file) is stepped, starting at the width of the hole and increasing 0.004" at a time. The difference between the (physical) width of the hole and the gauge is 4 times the kerf (once for each side of the hole, and once for each side of the gauge). When the gauge fits snugly, the extra width of the gauge exactly compensates for the kerf.
Made proudly at i3 Detroit.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse Apps
Laser Cutter Kerf Gauge by elplatt is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving elplatt a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure elplatt would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).