Modular Printable Spool
by 4ndy, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Here's a filament spool that can be easily dismantled and assembled in a variety of sizes, without the use of glue or any plastic welding.
There are holes provided to secure the assembly with M4 or M3 bolts for the ends, and any small wedge/pin to keep the spars clamped into each end, but you should be able to keep this whole thing together with just a bit of string if you really want.
This spool is mainly designed to ride on my Mendel-top spool holder:
However, it should work fine in any other setup with a horizontal axle. You should probably only use it on its side if you have glued/welded the segments together on the bottom.
Pick a radius for the spool you're making.
- 120mm should be big enough for reels of plastic up to about 2kg or 4lb, while 150mm should handle heavier reels.
Choose a spar for the width of your plastic reel.
- You can try finding this with a caliper around the sides of the reel or by holding a ruler up to it while holding the filament together. A little compression from the sides can be good to stop the reel getting tangled up.
Print and assemble the ends of the spool.
- Use 608 bearings if you want the spool to have a ridiculously smooth turn, otherwise use a simple bushing.
- Some light cleaning up of parts might be necessary if you're using 3mm filament like me, though I have done my best to adjust the part tolerances so that it should fit together straight off the printer.
Place your reel of filament over one assembled end, and slot the spanning members through holes inside it so that there is light pressure pushing the reel apart.
Thread the inside end of the reel through something to secure it, you have all kinds of holes to pick from, so go with a nearby one, or even clamp it to part of the structure with a bulldog clip.
- Place the other end over the spars and secure the spool from either side with some kind of wedge.
- A bit of scrap card cut into sharp triangles and slotted through each end hole should do it.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Modular Printable Spool by 4ndy is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving 4ndy a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure 4ndy would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).