Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Mighty Bottle Opener
by br3ttb, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
UPDATE: I've been unable to find a reliable way to protect the plastic with this design. If you're using PLA, keep reading; people have had good results. If you're printing with ABS however, I recommend using this updated design: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11025
The Coin-Op Bottle Opener ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1842 ) is awesome on so many levels. No wonder it's often the first thing that gets printed on a new machine. It doesn't take long to see its weakness though: it's HUGE.
This design keeps the same (strong, satisfying) jaw geometry, but puts it in a package that isn't a burden on your pants pocket. Also, because it's much smaller, it takes FAR less time to print.
One drawback is that you need to man-handle a paper clip to keep the plastic from getting chewed up. On the plus side you get to call yourself "crafty."
Also I removed most of the handle, so you may have to adjust your normal hand position. I find this opener works best with my thumb on top, index finger underneath.
(I've left this as a "work in progress" for the time being. It has done well in my testing, but please let me know if something doesn't work for you)
- Part gets submitted using a modified bottle cap as the protector. looks awesome (it's still the title thumbnail)
- Thing gets featured.
- Turns out the bottle cap protector doesn't work all that well. Embarrassing update posted. (good thing it's a "work in progress")
- Furious design session yeilds improved paper clip design. (thanks go out to thingiverse users waaronw and jprodgers for their contributions to that process)
- Made the part ~1mm wider (to help the fill around the hole) and added a little recess for the paperclip on the back side.
Getting the Paper clip into the opener is pretty straight forward (see picture):
- Straighten the paperclip and bend it into a U.
- Slide the clip through the slots in the part until the U is flush with the back of the opener.
- Bend the free ends so that they are flush with the front of the jaw.
- Trim the ends so there is just enough wire left for the next step.
- Bend the wires back forming 2 new U's. The points should be lodged into the plastic at the back of the jaw. This will keep everything nice and snug.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Mighty Bottle Opener by br3ttb is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving br3ttb a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure br3ttb would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).