Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Snowflake bluetooth lamp
by Jon_Yam, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
It is a cold sensation lamp for the warm summer nights. It is very nice in Seville (Spain) when we have to sleep with temperature over 30 degrees!
This lamp is like a snowflake and setting the iceberg color, it brings us the memories of the winter.
Furthermore, a bluetooth arduino has been integrated in order to control the LEDs and to program awesome effects like the rainbow. Thanks to the bluetooth communication, this lamp is wireless. Please, watch these videos:
Basic Control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX92j0QrzlE
Awesome Effects (special Christmas effect at the end of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSM6LnCuIc
You can put over the nightstand, in the living room, or suspended from the ceiling!
In addition, an Android application has been designed to send custom commands to the snowflake lamp easily.
The final version is explained in the following lines. Later, the performed iterations and the future work to improve the lamp are described.
- Transparent ABS filament (3 mm)
- Prusa i3 steel printer
- Repeiter-Host software using Cura slicer
- Height layer 0.35
- Three RGB LEDs with ws2801 controllers (http://www.ebay.es/itm/WS2801-Waterproof-IP66-12mm-LED-String-Digital-LED-pixels-Adafruit-Compat-/251997107784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aac32b648)
- Bluetooth Bee-Standalone (http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Bee-Standalone)
- Rechargeable Battery AA 14500 900mAh Li-ion 3,6V 3,7V TrustFire UltraFire Litio (http://www.ebay.es/itm/281052578779?euid=7cfc8f92cf6d4907ae03ec94cc53957f&cp=1)
- Voltage Regulator (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm1117-n.pdf)
- Regulator and charger. It manages the power supply, it has been extracted from an external battery for smartphones. (An example is http://www.dx.com/p/universal-3-7v-10400mah-portable-external-li-ion-18650-battery-power-bank-blue-378112#.Va54LOSlilM)
- Switch (internal battery/charging/external power)
- [Optional] Xbee explorer dongle (it is the manner more comfortable to program the Arduino on board Bluetooth Bee Standalone http://xbee.cl/xbee-explorer-dongle/)
Print: 2 pieces of Snowflake_p1.stl, 2 pieces of Snowflake_p2.stl, 4 pieces of Snowflake_p3.stl, 2 pieces of Snowflake_tap.stl and 2 pieces of Snowflake_sphere.stl.
Remove excess material and polish each piece, especially the joint areas.
Assemble the snowflake sheets with glue. A good idea is to have two parts in order to access quickly to the electronic sphere. You can see it in the last pictures.
Connect the electronic components like in the picture. If someone of you want a detailed schema, please ask!
Program the Bluetooth Bee module with our software and install the Android application. The link will be published soon.
Close the snowflake with the help of the covers.
- Fun it!
- How to split the snowflake for a good printing and assembly?
First, the snowflake sheets were designed to be symmetry (all pieces equals) and with male and female parts to assemble it properly. But the snowflake sheets needed a lot of material support.
Then, a new design was necessary prioritizing the best printing but without losing a perfect assembly. It is the uploaded version.
- Design of a way of power off without disassembling the snowflake. For example, it will be possible doing a hole or cover in the internal sphere of the snowflake. => DONE ready to print the new internal sphere.
- Implementation of more light effects. It implicates modifications in the Arduino program and the Android application. => DONE, I have to upload a new video.
- Design a structure for the internal components of the lamp but the available space is small. Also, the battery connection could be improved.
- Addition of the possibility of the bluetooth auto-connection to the last paired device (after power off) without doing the bluetooth association. Also, it is desirable to maintain the possibility to pair with new devices. It is necessary, for instance, when the user changes the smartphone. Two possible solutions:
- Using a new button to establish the bluetooth inquiring mode. By default, when the lamp is turned on, the bluetooth tries to connect to the last paired device. If it is needed to associate the lamp to a new device, the button should be pushed. This solution implicates hardware and software modifications.
- When the lamp is turned on, the bluetooth always tries to connect to the last paired device, if it fails (for example after 20 seconds), the bluetooth changes to inquiring mode. This solution implicates only Arduino program modifications. => DONE
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Snowflake bluetooth lamp by Jon_Yam is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Jon_Yam a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Jon_Yam would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).