I just don't find no 3d printed VR goggles that satisfies me, so I drew my own.
The lens holder is for 50mm lens, I might upload different sizes when I have time.
but you can always customize yourself with the provided FreeCAD file.
I suddently found that the front is too heavy and keeps slip down, and I happened to look for some weight to put on the back so it becames more balanced.
A broken 2.5' hdd just came into my sight... It even have it's own screw holes!
So there's another back plate which you can attach a 2.5' hdd onto.
Before you print the actual body, please consider printing the "test.stl" file, and see if your screws and nuts fits.
- if so, you're ready to go.
- if not, adjust inset related settings in your slicer program.
Print these with flexible material, such as TPE or NinjaFlex. How flexible these materials are is not very important, just make sure you can bend them and they won't break...
- back_belt.stl x 4
- phone_grip.stl x 2
- (optinal) face_damper.stl x 4
- top_belt.stl x 1
And print these with ordinary filaments, such as ABS or PLA:
- lens.stl x 1
- back_plate.stl x 1
- base.stl x 1
You'll need some M3 screws and nuts to assemble them together:
- M3 15mm x 1
- M3 20mm x 4
- M3 30mm x 4
- M3 40mm x 2
- M3 60mm x 4
- M3 hexagon nuts x 15
You'll need 2 lens for that, I bought some 50mm magnifiers from local stationery store.
- install the lens to the holder, with 15mm screw in the middle. remember to insert the nuts BEFORE you install the lens.
- install the phone grip with 30mm screws
- install the top belt with 40mm screws
- install the back belts (actually should be side belts, but I'm just too lazy to change filename) with 60mm screws
- install the lens holder with 20mm screws
- install the face dampers onto the top and bottom edge of the base
- take your phone, scan the qr code with google cardboard app.
- if you happen to see the screen blurry, that's probably due to the magnify too much or too less. adjust the distance between the glass to the phone (the slider is just for this purpose...). if you just can't get it right, just install 2 pairs of lens than... (that's what I did........).