The first version was an an exact copy of Thumperlater's "Folgertech Delta wire support", that as I was printing it, I realized it was a perfect starting point for a Raspberry Pi mount!
I have re-mixed it with parts from a couple of other Thingiverse projects so that it now has a ball mount, plus a hinge to swivel it out of the way. (It also allows you to position the Pi closer or further away for 'tighter' or 'wider' shots.) I also created a simple bracket for the MCM case that I'm using, but the ball clamps aren't tight enough, so I will be re-mixing them soon. (I currently have a piece of 150 grit sandpaper in-between the grips and the ball to keep the pi from moving [much]...)
PS: The rubber-band is helping to hold the LED ring to the front of the Pi, as the double-stick tape has let go a few times. ;-)
So this is still a Work-In Progress until I re-design the ball clamp.
The hinge also needs a slight re-design to add a spring, as it loosens up too easy, even with a nylock nut on it.
I may also re-design the clamp so that it can be turned 90 degrees to the right to take a "Portrait" video of tall objects. ;-)
I've deleted the original STL, which was an exact copy of Thumperlater's "Folgertech Delta wire support" and uploaded my new design.
1 - M3 x 20mm bolt For the ball clamp
2 - M3 x 8mm bolts For the Pi mount to the MCM case
1 - M3 x 25mm (or 30mm) bolt For the Hinge
4 - M3 Nylock Nuts
The case I'm currently using:
Here's a Black version of it:
Thingiverse projects which I remixed components from:
"Raspberry Pi Camera Mount" http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:523304
"Cute Hinge" http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:646215
One thing to note:
I mounted the camera up-side down in the MCM case so that I could put the USB connections up top for better WiFi connectivity, plus it puts the Micro-USB power jack on the 'inside' now, instead of the 'outside' and in the way. ;-) See pics for details.
And in case you're wondering...
Yes, my holder is currently in three different colors!!! Here's why: I had originally printed it in RED PLA, but was having numerous failed prints with that filament, and thought it was just my settings - temperature, speed, etc. But it turns out that it's just junk filament. It works great for the first 5-10 minutes of a print, then starts to jam the print head.
So I switched to a small bit of White PLA that I had left over, and the hinge printed out perfectly. I then started to print the ball mount, and ended up hitting my power strip switch and shutting everything off mid-print... And I didn't have enough White PLA to re-do the print. :( - So then I printed it in my new Purple PLA.
I printed this with:
.20 MM Layer Height
SUPPORT is needed for the ball head, or it won't print right at all.
Printing tip: If you have issues getting PLA to stick to your print bed like I do, then put a fairly thick amount of elmer's glue stick on the print bed where the ball head will print, or it will probably fail.
The ball clamp from the re-mixed project was originally designed to just hold the lighweight Pi camera in a small case. (The pi was mounted separately). But I'm using it to hold up the pi itself, and it doesn't have enough clamping force to hold it upright. I got around that temporarily by putting a piece of 150grit sandpaper in-between the ball and the clamp. (see pic) That works reasonably well, but I'll be designing a new clamp soon.