by Zaggo, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a drag chain for the MakerBot extruder cable (or any other cable/wires).
It keeps your extruder cable out of the Z-stage belt and let your MakerBot look professional (kind of...)
The objects need very detailed printing in order to work. You definitely want a good tuned MakerBot and Skeinforge settings to print this (don't say I didn't warn you!).
The ZIP file contains GCode files for all objects, including 6 or 8 chain links on one raft. It might be the best to skeinforge the gcode with your own, tuned settings. The included GCode files worked for me (resp. my MakerBot), but (again): these are some really hairy objects to print.
- Print as many chain links as you need or like. For the extruder cable on my Makerbot I use 12 links.
- If you insert a standard patch cable (like the extruder cable which came with the MakerBot batch 5 kits), you shouldn't need any additional closing mechanism. If you insert only a few wires, print out one or more "Closing Sticks". Cut the stick into pieces and use the notch in the chain links to hold the wires inside the chain.
- If your extruder cable is mounted upright (default, when using the MK3 Plastruder), you sholdn't need any special end link. If your extruder driver card is mounted horizontal (like mine in the photos), print the optional "End Corner Extruder" piece. Use this piece as last link on the extruder side and tape it to the RJ45 jack (see photo). Clip the flat part if needed.
- To mount the drag chain to the MakerBot body (or elsewhere), print the "Chain Anchor" piece. It has holes for using the upper Z endstop bolts to mount it to the outside of the body. Then just use the notch on the last chain link to attach the drag chain to the anchor.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Drag Chain by Zaggo is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Zaggo a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Zaggo would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).