I wanted to make a cable rack even before krekr posted his design, but I wanted to make it clamp on to my workbench rather than be permanently attached. This derivative takes his design and adds clamps so I don\'t have to drill holes into whatever old computer desk I happen to be using as workbench at the time!
I've wanted to make something that incorporates a custom clamp and I also have been wanting to try to make some snap together parts for a while, so I incorporated both into this design. If you want to use something other than ABS to make these clamps though, it would be pretty easy to replace these snaps with T-slots for fasteners (which I might do anyway).
This project is cut from 1/4\" ABS. Many of the parts are mirrored so the textured side of the ABS sheet faces outward on all pieces when it's put together. Here are the settings used on my 35W Epilog to cut the parts (a little slow, but results in nice edges):
Freq: 500 Hz
Additionally, you\'ll need a square U-bolt (I used a 3/8\" 3-11/16x5\" U-Bolt) that is cut in half and 4 3/8\" 1-1/2\" washers. This cost me less than $5 total at my local hardware store.
Construction should be pretty easy to follow from the pictures (please excuse the line that's out on the CCD of my camera!). Snap together the two outside faces of the camp with the two bridging pieces and glue (using ABS cement in this case) the contact surface of the clamp on top. I also glued together the two knob sections so they form a solid piece. After that, just insert the nut that came with your U-Bolt into the knob, sandwich this in between two washers, and insert it into the clamp body. Next, glue the two upper rack pieces together, making sure to pay attention to the side the small holes are on. Then just insert the clamps and you're done!
Notes on snap together parts:
After a little experimentation, I found that 0.1" wide tongs with 0.05" overhangs (not accounting for what was taken off during the cutting of the parts) were still pretty stiff but bent enough to allow parts to be snapped together. These still require a bit of force to get to go together, and could use some tweaking.
Also note that one of the knobs is a little smaller and not quite lined up right in the fully assembled picture. This was the first clamp I made and I made a few adjustments to this on the second clamp I built. The clamps turned out relatively bulky, but pretty functional.