Here's the first unofficial accessory pack for m_bergman's excellent WWII "Tanks and Vehicles" collection.
In this accessory pack I've added or modified the following for several vehicles (German at this point, Americans likely next)
NOTE: Though the models are still at the original 1:200 scale, I'm printing mine at 1:100; I can't promise the fine details will come through on smaller scales.
Separate tracks that can be printed with little or no support; makes cleanup much easier and prevents some of the distortions that occur when trying to print the entire vehicle. Also allows smooth bottoms on the vehicles with support only needed for overhanging tread guards and the like.
Detailed treads and wheels that can add more realism when printing at larger scales.
Addition of Pioneer bridges to allow conversion of Sd Kfz 251/1 to 251/7 Pioneer transport.
Additon of my own version of the Opel Maultier (adapted from Bergman's Opel Blitz) with scratch designed highly detailed tracks.
Addition of my own Sd Kfz 7/1. It also has highly detailed tracks that look great at 1/100 scale. I used the Bergman wirbelwind as the basis for the turret, and I tried to push the envelope a little by adding hands and additional detail to the little German dudes. I also added separately printable rails to allow a rails down configuration. Note: cleanup of the support material for the turret is not for the faint of heart. I used a dental pick and stabbed myself several times.
Addition of a commander version of the turrets and a separately printable hatch to allow "commander" versions of some of the vehicles. I used German tank crew figures from Peter Pig and Plastic Soldier Co.
Separately printed schurzen as appropriate. For the Jagdpanzer IV's which didn't have the rail, I made little posts from plastic rod and glued them to the tracks to support the schurzen for gluing, probably should have added them digitally to the stl file, but I got lazy.
Jagdpanzer IV and Jagdpanther can used the Panzer IV and Panther A detailed tracks, respectively.
- I just added a Opel Radio truck with the bedspring antenna. I modified Bergman's Opel Blitz to create it.
Update: 11/3/16 - Added Churchill IV. I have not yet test printed it. Add a comment (good or bad :) ) if you've tried to print it
Available in this release:
NOTE(again): Though the models are still at the original 1:200 scale, I'm printing mine at 1:100; I can't promise the fine details will come through on smaller scales. Note I've included some of m_bergman's turrets unaltered to make models complete
Jagdpanzer IV: separate detailed tracks (use PzKfw IV), commander hull and hatch, separate schurzen
Kubelwagon: separate wheels
Marder III: separate detailed tracks
Flakpanzer 38: separate detailed tracks
Opel Maultier: separate highly detailed tracks, detailed wheels, flat-bottomed body
Panther(A-late): separate detailed tracks, commander turret and hatch
Jagdpanther (late): separate detailed tracks (use Panther A), commander hull and hatch
Panzer IV: separate detailed tracks, commander turret and hatch, schurzen
RSO: separate detailed tracks
SdKfz7-1: NEW UNIT, Body with rails, Body without rails, separate rails, enhanced figures in turret
234-2 Puma, separate detailed wheels, commander turret and hatch
SdKfz 250: separate detailed tracks and wheels, bodies for /1, /7, /8, /9, and /10 variants
SdKfz 251: separate detailed tracks and wheels, bodies for /1, /9, and /10 variants, assault bridges for /7 pioneer variant
Tiger: separate detailed tracks, commander turret and hatch
Wespe: separate detailed tracks
Opel Radio Truck: Separate wheels, radio cabin, antenna and truck chassis.
Printing and Assembly tips:
I printed the units in the pictures in ABS at 200% scale sliced at 0.1mm, though I've had excellent success with PLA recently @ 0.15mm and 0.1mm. I print some of the bulk units (like the 40 or so Sd Kfz 250's and 251's I've done so far) at 0.2 and they look fine, just a little more stair stepped. I've also remedied some issues at 0.1 where holes appear at the top of my print by slicing a little thicker (0.15 usually).
For wheels, hatches and other small pieces, I've avoided problems with bed adhesion by printing with support but no raft, and I've adjusted a parameter to extend the support 3-4 mm outside the edge. this joins together the parts in a web, and allows multiple parts to be printed at once with good adhesion.
Cleanup is essential for good parts fit. Emery boards, sanding sticks, files, dental picks, etc are your best friend. If you have a sharp 1/2" woodworking chisel, it will help a lot to clean up support material under tread guards. Above all, be careful with the sharp stuff - keep your fingers out of the path where it will slip because it WILL.
For commander models, I've found that printed the hatches a little large (~10%) looks and works better.
I glue up the units with Loctite Ultra Gel Control. It's one of the only super glues that i've used that I can actually use up before it dries up. Plus it's cheap and available at home stores.
Let me know any questions or comments and good luck. Americans are just about finished and will come next.