MakerBot Modio Challenge
Modio, the iPad app that lets you design and customize your own characters for 3D printing is now available on the iPhone, too. In celebration of this exciting news, we’re partnering with Modio to present the MakerBot Modio Challenge.
For the challenge, we want you to remix and reimagine Modio designs. Build, modify, invent, paint – anything goes!
Download source files from the Modio app and upload modified versions to Thingiverse with the tag #ModioChallenge before Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:59PM EST. Entries must be tagged #ModioChallenge to be considered and will be judged by a panel of MakerBot and Modio employees on creativity and printability.Download Modio for iOS and follow Modio on Thingiverse. Android users can participate by signing up for the Android beta.
Deadline: Oct 8, 2014 11:59 PM EDT
Total Entries: 154
How to Enter
HOW: Download source files from the Modio app and upload modified versions to Thingiverse with the tag #ModioChallenge. Entries must be tagged #ModioChallenge to be considered.
DURATION: Thursday, September 25, 2014 at 12:00AM EST to Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:59PM EST. All entries must be received no later than October 8, 2014 at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be announced on Monday, October 27, 2014.
JUDGING: A subjective panel of Modio and MakerBot employees will select the winners based on creativity and printability.
MakerBot Modio Challenge (“Contest”)
Official Rules as defined by Thingiverse, LLC and its affiliate MakerBot Industries, LLC (collectively, “Sponsor”).
CONTEST ENTRY DATES: Contest start date & time and end date & time as outlined on website is Thursday, September 25, 2014 at 12:00AM EST to Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:59PM EST. All entries must be received no later than October 8, 2014 at 11:59PM EST.
CONTEST OBJECTIVE: The objective of the Contest is to invite Thingiverse Account Holders to create and upload a creative Modio modification (“MakerBot Modio Design”) that fits within a build volume of 10.0L x 10.0w x 12.5h cm. All Entries must include a description of how and why the submitted MakerBot Modio Design is useful or novel.
CONTEST ENTRY: To enter, click “Enter Challenge” on the Contest’s click-through landing page and upload the MakerBot Modio Design with the hashtag: #ModioChallenge. For purposes of these Official Rules, “receipt” of entry occurs when Thingiverse’s server records the entry information resulting from Contestants’ entry being received. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of entry) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
JUDGING: The Sponsor will select a first, second, and third place winner (“Winner” or “Winners”) based on the following criteria: creativity and printability of the MakerBot Modio Challenge designs and ability to print successfully from a MakerBot Replicator™ 2 Desktop 3D Printer. The odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. In the event of any ties, Winners will be determined based in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. In all cases, Sponsor’s decision is final and binding.
WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be determined after the Contest’s end date and announced on the Sponsor’s Blog (http://www.makerbot.com/blog) on Monday, October 27, 2014.
PRIZE(S): The first place Winner will receive: (a) an Apple iPhone 6 Plus valued at $749.00 + tax USD and (b) have their MakerBot Modio Design featured on www.thingiverse.com. The second place Winner will receive: (a) two (2) spools of MakerBot PLA filament, with a retail value of up to $100 and (b) have their MakerBot Modio Design featured on www.thingiverse.com. The third place Winner will receive: (a) one (1) spool of MakerBot PLA filament, with a retail value of up to $50 and (b) have their MakerBot Modio Design featured on www.thingiverse.com. Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A Winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a Winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a Winner after it has been formally transferred and such Winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, Winners are responsible for any and all fees associated with value added tax (VAT), taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By entering in this Contest:- Contestants agree and accept these Official Rules.
- Entry must be the creative work of the Contestant and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person and must not violate any law. Contestant assumes all responsibilities and consequences if submission is found to be otherwise. Sponsor will not be held responsible if legal action results from public exhibition.
- Contestant acknowledges that Sponsor will use 3D-printed prints of the winning MakerBot Modio Designs and images of the winning 3D-printed prints of the winning MakerBot Modio Designs for promotional and commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, events, marketing material, retail store displays, and use by distributors and resellers of products of Sponsor.
- Contestant waives any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated scanned image and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
- Winning constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use Winner’s name, images, hometown, likeness, prizes won, stories, audio, video and photograph (all at Sponsor’s discretion) for future advertising, exhibition, publicity in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, now or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission.
- After the winning notifications, written consent of acceptance of these Official Rules for any Winner under the age of 18 must be given via electronic mail to [email protected] or via regular mail to Sponsor’s address listed in these official rules (“Sponsor Address”) within fifteen (15) business days, after which consent will be confirmed by Sponsor. The written consent must contain: (a) name, (b) regular mailing address, (c) telephone number, and (d) email address for the parent or guardian granting consent for the minor. Except where prohibited by law, parent or guardian of a Winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, parent or guardian of a Winner must return all such required documents via fax (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such Winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another Contestant may be selected based on the judging criteria described herein.
SUBMISSION PROBLEMS: Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, damaged, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed entries; all of which will be void. Additionally, Sponsor is not responsible for problems related to technical malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer online systems, computer hardware or software failures, or failure of any entry to be received by Sponsor on account of any technical problems, including miscommunication or connection failure, which may limit a Contestant’s ability to participate in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or terminate the Contest in the event it becomes technically impaired, and to cancel or suspend the Contest in its entirety should unauthorized intervention corrupt the administration of the Contest and, if terminated, at Sponsor’s discretion, determine the Winner using all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of cancellation using the judging procedure outlined above. In the event of a dispute regarding entries received from multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the Contestant and must comply with these Official Rules. Authorized subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the email address by the online service provider. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the operation of this Contest.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and Winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.>
Under no circumstances will Contestants be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestants hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, and Contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
CHOICE OF LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestants and Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA without regard to New York choice of law rules.
SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
WINNERS LIST: Winners will be announced at www.makerbot.com/blog on Monday, October 27, 2014.
SPONSOR ADDRESS: MakerBot Industries, LLC, One MetroTech Center, 21st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201