MakerEd Challenge 2.0The first MakerEd Project Challenge was wildly successful, with nearly 800 entries. We asked you to turn your new or previously existing designs into projects and you more than rose to the challenge. Now we’re asking you to do it again, but with some minor changes. We’re asking for slightly more project information, and to say thanks we’re giving away better prizes, including two MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D printers.
Deadline: Aug 14, 2016 11:59 PM EDT
Total Entries: 414
3D PrintersA panel of educators will award a MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer to the best overall project. A second Replicator will be awarded to a qualifying project chosen at random. Every project counts as one entry. Enter as many times as you like.
How to Enter
Don’t worry if you’re not a formal educator, or haven’t taught the project that you plan to submit. Anyone can create a MakerEd Project! All learning environments are unique, so try to focus on the general objectives, flow, and results of your project, and leave room for educators to adapt it to their needs.
Qualifying entries should include the following information. Incorporating all items will increase your chances of winning.
- At least one uploaded STL file: The 3D file(s) could act as starter models, examples, manipulative, demonstrations, challenges, tutorials, or sample designs for your Project.
- At least one uploaded photo: Photos could be of printed models or of your Project in action. Please make sure your photo appears in the first spot of the Gallery as the “Cover” of your Thing.
- “Summary” section filled out with: A short description of either the 3D model, the Project, or both.
- “How I Designed This” section filled out, if relevant: Explain any relevant 3D design tips or walkthroughs related to the actual creation of the 3D design file.
- “Project” description in the Custom Section, as follows (this is the key part!): Add a Custom Section and change its title to “Project: Title Of Your Project”. Then add Text blocks with subsection titles to match the boldface sections listed below.
- Project Name: Be descriptive, but succinct. The Internet is overflowing with information. Make your title useful and distinctive.
- Overview & Background: Give an intro to what you will learn by completing this project.
- Objectives: List what students would be expected to learn from participating in this Project.
- Audiences: List the grades, ages, or skill levels that would be appropriate for this Project.
- Subjects: Include any relevant subjects i.e. science, math, etc.
- Skills Learned (Standards): List what skills will be gained by completing this project. If you’re an educator, include what standards your project meets.
- Lesson/Activity: The meat of your project. List out step-by-step what is needed to complete your projects. Remember, a picture is worth 1,000 words!
- Duration: Estimate how long it would take for a teacher to complete this project with their students.
- Preparation: List anything students that should already know about or have done before starting this project, and/or any necessary technology, resources, or materials.
- References: Include or link to any pre- or post-research that students or teachers may have to complete as part of your project.
- Rubric & Assessment: Describe what students should have designed, made, printed, or achieved at the end of your Project, and any ideas you have for grading or assessment.
- Handouts & Assets: If there are any documents, etc that accompany your project, include them with a brief description.
- At least one of #ScienceProject, #MathProject, #ArtProject, #HistoryProject, #EnglishProject, #MusicProject, #DesignProject, #EngineeringProject, #RoboticsProject, or some similar Tag.
- At least one relevant Tag entered into the “Design Tools Used” field, to describe the modeling tool(s) needed to create the Thing or project outcome.
- You can add images and videos between Text blocks in the Instructions.
- As appropriate, images added to Instructions can also be added to the Thing Gallery.
- To make a video appear in the Gallery, include a YouTube link in the Thing Summary.
- It is possible to add PDFs and other filetypes to the file Gallery of your Thing.
- Re-order the images and videos in your Gallery so that the most engaging ones are first.
- Asterisk-lists in the Instructions will be converted into nicely formatted bullet-point lists.
- To add an active link, type this: [Name of link](http://www.this.is.the.link.com).
OFFICIAL RULES as defined by MakerBot Industries, LLC (“Sponsor”)
MakerED Challenge 2.0: This contest (“Contest”) asks designers to create educational projects based on their designs.
CONTEST ENTRY DATES: Contest start date & time and end date & time as outlined on website is Monday, May 16, 2016 at 12:00AM EST to Sunday, 8/14/2016 at 11:59EST. All entries must be received no later than Sunday, 8/14/2016 at 11:59EST.
WHO MAY ENTER: Contest submissions are only open to natural persons 13 and over (15 and over for Norway residents and 18 and over for Germany residents) at the time of entry person (“Contestant” or “Contestants” or “You”) who have already obtained permission from a parent or legal guardian and who have a registered account on makerbot.com or thingiverse.com (“MakerBot Account”).
Contestants under 18 years old must obtain written consent of a parent or legal guardian in order to be eligible to enter this Contest and to receive any prizes. Please see the “ACKNOWLEDGMENT” section in these Official Rules for details. Contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where is prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law.
NOT ELIGIBLE: The following categories are NOT eligible to enter this contest or win a prize. (a) Employees and their immediate families (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or those living in the same household (whether or not related) of Sponsor, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, prize suppliers, distributors and advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, “Contest Parties”); and (b) residents of North Korea, Syria, Sudan, Cuba, Iran, Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, Romania, Turkey, Poland, Italy, and the Province of Quebec, Canada.
MakerBot reserves the right to verify your eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time. You agree to provide MakerBot with any proof of eligibility requested by MakerBot and your refusal or failure to timely provide such proof may result in your disqualification from the Contest.
CONTEST OBJECTIVE: The objective of this contest is to turn new or existing Thingiverse designs into educational projects.
CONTEST ENTRY (HOW TO ENTER): Upload or modify designs to your Thingiverse account using the hashtag: #MakerEdChallenge2 . Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of Entry) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. Duplicate Entries will not be considered. No purchase necessary to enter Contest. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by your web service will apply.
JUDGING: A panel of educators will pick winning entries based on creativity, quality, and educational value. One additional winning entry will be chosen at random. The odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. In the event of any ties, Winners will be determined based in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. In all cases, Sponsor’s decision is final and binding.
PRIZE(S): Two (2) winners will receive each receive one (1) MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer valued at $2,899.00 + tax USD each. Five (5) runner-up winners will each receive one (1) swag bag worth up to $130.00 + tax USD.
Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A Winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a Winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a Winner after it has been formally transferred and such Winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, Winners are responsible for any and all fees associated with value added tax (VAT), taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion and Sponsor reserves, it its sole discretion, the right to award no prizes if no participants complete the contest according to these Official Rules.
In order to comply with any delivery or other requirements to fulfill the provision of prizes won, Sponsor may share your name and address with third parties.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By entering in this Contest:
(a) You agree and accept these Official Rules.
(b) You represent and warrant that your entries are your own creative work, that you own all rights in your entries, that your entries do not violate any applicable laws, and that your entries do not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person. You assume all responsibilities and consequences if submission is found to be otherwise. Sponsor will not be held responsible if legal action results from public exhibition.
(c) You represent and warrant that all the information you provide about yourself while registering or in subsequent communications with Sponsor are truthful and accurate.
(d) You acknowledge that MakerBot may use 3D-printed prints of the winning design for promotional and commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, events, marketing material, retail store displays, and use by distributors and resellers of products of Sponsor.
(e) You waive any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated scanned image and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
(f) You acknowledge that winning constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use your name, username, images, hometown, likeness, prizes won, stories, audio, video and photograph (all at Sponsor’s discretion) for future advertising, exhibition, publicity in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, now or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission.
(g) Except where prohibited by law, parent or guardian of a Winner under the age of 18 will be required to sign and return a Consent Form and Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. Parent or guardian must return all such required documents via email and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such Winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another Contestant may be selected based on the judging criteria described herein.
WARRANTIES & SUBMISSION PROBLEMS: Except as required by law, Sponsor makes no warranties, express or implied, for prizes. The Contest is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Sponsor disclaims all representations and warranties, express or implied, including any warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, damaged, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed Entries; all of which will be void. Additionally, Sponsor is not responsible for functionality issues with third-party websites that may interfere with Winner selection or notification. In the event viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, Acts of God, acts or regulations of any governmental or supra-national authority, war, national emergency, accident, fire, riot, strikes, lock-outs, industrial disputes, acts of terrorism, acts or regulations by any other site, or other matters beyond the Sponsor’s reasonable control, corrupt, prevent, or impair the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of this Contest, so that they cannot be conducted as originally planned, Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to modify the Official Rules or to cancel, modify, terminate, or suspend this Contest; and in such event, to select Winner and Runners-Up by such method as Sponsor in its sole discretion shall consider equitable. In event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an Entry, the Entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the MakerBot Account, or respective third-party website account as applicable, is registered.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and Winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.
Under no circumstances will Contestants be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestants hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, and Contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
CHOICE OF LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestants and Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA without regard to New York choice of law rules.
SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
SPONSOR ADDRESS: MakerBot Industries, LLC, One MetroTech Center, 21st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201
OTHER PROVISIONS: Sponsor reserves the right to modify this Contest as necessary. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any social media website or platform, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.