Deadline: Nov 1, 2015 11:59 PM EST
Total Entries: 545
Assistive Technology ChallengeThe Bay Area Makeathon took place September 11-13 and brought together engineers, developers, designers, and hobbyists to develop hardware and software prototypes designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities. Participants developed solutions that address the challenges of disabled individuals who can’t find off-the-shelf products. Select prototypes were then uploaded to Thingiverse. That's where you come in. Use their work as inspiration to design something great for a fellow human.
Runner-Up WinnersUp to four runner-up winners will receive one roll of MakerBot Filament in PLA or ABS,
How to Enter
Challenge Entry Tips: Increase your chances of winning!
3D Design Tips: How to get started...
THINGIVERSE ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY CHALLENGE (“Contest”)
OFFICIAL RULES as defined by MakerBot Industries, LLC (“Sponsor”).
CONTEST ENTRY DATES: Contest start date & time and end date & time as outlined on website is 9/24/2015 at 12:00AM EST to Sunday, 11/1/2015 at 11:59PM EST. All entries must be received no later than 11/1/2015 at 11:59PM EST.
CONTEST OBJECTIVE: The objective of the Contest is to invite Thingiverse account holders to create and upload a design inspired by the assistive devices found at http://www.thingiverse.com/tomglobal (“Design”).
CONTEST ENTRY: To enter, click “Enter Challenge” on the Contest’s click-through landing page and upload the Design with the hashtag: #AssistiveTech. For purposes of these Official Rules, “receipt” of entry occurs when Thingiverse’s server records the entry information resulting from Contestants’ entry being received. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of entry) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
JUDGING: The Sponsor will select a first place winner and four runner-ups (“Winners”) based on the following criteria: creativity and printability of the Design from a MakerBot Replicator™ Desktop 3D Printer. The odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. In the event of any ties, Winners will be determined based in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. In all cases, Sponsor’s decision is final and binding.
WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be determined after the Contest’s end date and announced on thingiverse.com on or before 12/07/2015.
PRIZE(S): The first place Winner will: (a) receive a MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer (Fifth Generation Model) valued at $2,899.00 + tax USD with MakerCare and (b) have his or her Design featured on Thingiverse. The four runner-up Winners will each receive one (1) spool of MakerBot PLA or ABS filament, with a retail value of up to $100.00 + tax.
Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A Winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a Winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a Winner after it has been formally transferred and such Winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, Winners are responsible for any and all fees associated with value added tax (VAT), taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By entering in this Contest:
- Contestants agree and accept these Official Rules.
- Entry must be the creative work of the Contestant and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person and must not violate any law. Contestant assumes all responsibilities and consequences if submission is found to be otherwise. Sponsor will not be held responsible if legal action results from public exhibition.
- Contestant acknowledges that MakerBot will use 3D-printed prints of the winning Designs and images of the winning 3D-printed prints of the winning Designs for promotional and commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, events, marketing material, retail store displays, and use by distributors and resellers of products of Sponsor.
- Contestant waives any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated scanned image and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
- Winning constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use Winner’s name, images, hometown, likeness, prizes won, stories, audio, video and photograph (all at Sponsor’s discretion) for future advertising, exhibition, publicity in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, now or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission.
- After the winning notifications, written consent of acceptance of these Official Rules for any Winner under the age of 18 must be given via electronic mail to [email protected] or via regular mail to Sponsor’s address listed in these official rules (“Sponsor Address”) within fifteen (15) business days, after which consent will be confirmed by Sponsor. The written consent must contain: (a) name, (b) regular mailing address, (c) telephone number, and (d) email address for the parent or guardian granting consent for the minor. Except where prohibited by law, parent or guardian of a Winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, parent or guardian of a Winner must return all such required documents via fax (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such Winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another Contestant may be selected based on the judging criteria described herein.
SUBMISSION PROBLEMS: Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, damaged, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed entries; all of which will be void. Additionally, Sponsor is not responsible for problems related to technical malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer online systems, computer hardware or software failures, or failure of any entry to be received by Sponsor on account of any technical problems, including miscommunication or connection failure, which may limit a Contestant’s ability to participate in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or terminate the Contest in the event it becomes technically impaired, and to cancel or suspend the Contest in its entirety should unauthorized intervention corrupt the administration of the Contest and, if terminated, at Sponsor’s discretion, determine the Winner using all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of cancellation using the judging procedure outlined above. In the event of a dispute regarding entries received from multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the Contestant and must comply with these Official Rules. Authorized subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the email address by the online service provider. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the operation of this Contest.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and Winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. Under no circumstances will Contestants be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestants hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, and Contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
CHOICE OF LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestants and Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA without regard to New York choice of law rules.
SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
WINNERS LIST: Winners will be announced at www.thingiverse.com on or before 12/07/2015.
SPONSOR ADDRESS: MakerBot Industries, LLC, One MetroTech Center, 21st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201